Are Your Vehicle’s Rotors Warped?
Rotors are the round discs you can see through the spaces in your rim. When braking, your brake pads clamp onto the rotor and make your vehicle stop. Rotors should be flat and smooth and when they become damaged, it can make driving more difficult.
How Do You Get Warped Rotors?
- Issues with your Braking System -These can sometimes add to issues with your rotors: sticky calipers and failing back brakes. These force your front brakes to work even harder, which can result in them heating up and causing damage to your rotors.
- Your driving habits -Frequent driving in hilly terrain or if you are in traffic often, can also add wear to your vehicle’s rotors.
- Over-torqueing can also play a part.
- A rotor also tends to become stressed if there was a wheel on your car that wasn’t installed properly.
Many issues can contribute to the overheating and damage to your vehicle’s rotors. By knowing what adds to warping your rotors and doing what you can to help prevent it from occurring, can help you to avoid an expensive repair down the line.
Warped Rotor Signs:
- The brake pedal shudders.
- The steering wheel vibrates.
- Your hands or feet shake when you brake.
If you are experiencing any of the signs above, it’s important to get your vehicle checked out as soon as possible at your local auto repair facility.
Fixing Warped Rotors:
To repair warped rotors, 1 of 2 things can be done.
1. Replacing them.
Replacing your rotors can be more expensive, but they are a good investment because the likelihood of rotors warping again any time soon is unlikely.
2. Machining them.
Machining rotors is done to correct the problem by smoothing the rotors. The rotors aren’t replaced, they are fixed. Machining is often a good cost-effective solution that fits better within some people’s budgets.
Keeping your rotors in good condition is important because without them, steering and braking would be impossible.
To avoid causing additional damaging your rotors, you should have these issues checked out as soon as possible. Call the auto repair experts at AAMCO Overland Park today with any questions you may have or to schedule an easy appointment to take care of your vehicle’s issues.